Freethinkers, Skeptics, and Atheists at York (FreeSAY) is a social and advocacy organization for non-religious students at York University in Toronto. We are chiefly concerned with raising the visibility of such students on campus, as well as providing a community where they may freely discuss their beliefs and experiences.
We also seek to create a space for the York community to openly discuss philosophical issues which are often considered taboo, and we therefore welcome dissenting viewpoints so long as they are expressed in a civil manner.
More generally, we are dedicated to promoting humanist values and critical thinking, as well as interest in, and understanding of, science and the natural world.
Our primary means of accomplishing our goals will be our weekly meetings, where we will either have discussions on topics related to our areas of interest, watch movies/documentaries, or play boardgames (treats will be provided!). We will also be hosting larger campus events on occasion.
This group is open to anyone who is interested, and not in anyway limited based on religious views. To keep up with developing events related to our mandate, be sure to join our facebook group.
Our goals at a glance:
- To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavor
- To create a campus community for freethinkers, skeptics, atheists and agnostics
- To challenge misrepresentations of non-religious convictions and lifestyles
- To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma
- To cultivate in ourselves – and others – a sense of responsibility to, and compassion for, humanity
- To counter all forms of religious or political extremism
- To defend religious freedom and the separation of church and state
- To defend individual freedoms and civil liberties for all persons, regardless of race, sex, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability
Note: The opinions expressed on this website and blog do not necessarily reflect the views of FreeSay as a whole or of its individual members. The opinions expressed here belong to those of the individual authors. FreeSay cannot be held liable for or responsible for the content of this website or any website linked to it.